Aussie Black Truffles

Aussie Black Truffles






I ♥️ black truffles! In season right now so won’t be around for long! We have amazing produce in Australia, right in our backyard so why not celebrate it!? So this year I wanted to buy it for the first time and ordered it straight from the farm. Delivery was quick, it arrived the next day! Happy days! 

Whilst delicious with a beautiful distinctive aroma, it doesn’t come cheap at $2.5 per gram I wanted to make sure I maximise my black gems so that I could get value for my buck. 

I researched online and got some tips I wanted to share:

Lifespan:
  • It's best to use within 1 week before it loses its aroma

Storage:
  • Wrap in paper towels and store in air tight container in the fridge.
  • Whilst truffle and risotto go amazingly together, don’t store it with uncooked rice – it will dry it out!
  • Store truffles in an airtight container with eggs overnight in the fridge and the aroma will infuse the eggs through the porous shells. It will make banging scrambled eggs the next day 
What to do with it:
  • I made truffle butter rolled it into a log and popped it in the freezer so I can enjoy the taste of truffle for weeks to come. I used the knob of butter with my steak last night (see last post). One word DELICIOUS!!
  • Dairy + truffle = BFFS use it to make creamy pasta, truffle Mac & cheese, truffle ice cream to name a few
  • Whilst slicing the truffle over a dish is impressive, the best way to use it is using a microplane to grate it. It exposes more of the surface area bringing out most of the flavour




























Popular Posts