Avocado Shake aka Sinh tố bơ

Avocado Shake aka Sinh tố bơ




For my morning pick me up today I made avocado shakes! It was on sale at the supermarket this week so I decided to grab a couple. I actually didn’t like avocado as a kid it wasn’t until I was in my teens that I started appreciating it in all forms from guacamole, salads, smashed avos to avo & vegemite on toast! However, one thing I always loved was avocado shakes aka in Vietnamese Sinh to bo! I think it was the combo of creaminess and mellow sweetness that made it so satisfying. As a kid my weekly trip to Cabramatta would consist of yumcha or pho followed by my mum taking me to the fruit shake stall to get my drink! It’s funny though, because despite knowing what I wanted I would still ponder my decision at the counter...jackfruit shake or should I get the 6 choices dessert instead? All the options so tempting! 

My recipe is unique in that I use coconut juice & the flesh in my shakes, I feel it gives it a subtle coconut flavour that goes really well against the creaminess of the avocado. The one I use is the young coconut from Thailand that has been harvested & extracted for the juice and flesh and is preserved by freezing. You can purchase these in pouches or in a drinking tub that comes with a tiny fork at your local asian grocer. 

Traditionally the recipe calls for milk instead of coconut juice, but it all happened one day when I ran out of milk so I was looking in the fridge to see what I could use as an alternative and came across the coconut juice I had in my freezer draw. Let’s just say the result was incredible a nice balance of creaminess, sweetness, freshness and I haven’t turned back since! I also hit 2 birds with one stone because now I also don’t need to use ice! 

Serves 1 or 2

Ingredients:

  • 1 ripe Haas avocado 
  • 1 pouch of frozen coconut juice & flesh, partially defrosted (280g packet)
  • 1/4 cup condensed milk 


Method:

  1. Add all ingredients in the blender and start off blending on a low speed
  2. Once the frozen coconut has broken up, turn on high speed and blend until the mixture is smooth
  3. Enjoy!


Cooks Notes: 

  • The result is a thick shake that you can eat with your spoon. However if you prefer a looser mix, add a bit of milk until you achieve the desired thickness. 
  • Please use the coconut flesh & juice. If you can't get your hands on it, you can substitute for coconut water in the bottles at the supermarket & half a cup of ice. 







Popular Posts